Let’s face it. The commercial roofing problems are unavoidable. It seems almost inevitable that something or the other is going wrong with the roofing. Leaves may get collected on top of the roof and clog your drains. Or, high winds may pick up or blow off the commercial roofing material. There is also the possibility of holes developing in the roof due to constant expansion and contraction. If you decide to ignore these issues with the roof it leads to costlier and bigger problems. Here are some common commercial roofing problems you will encounter.
1. No maintenance: This is the most common kind of commercial roofing problem you will come across. Although there is nothing major happening here such as a tree branch falling on top of the roof and creating a hole, you need to get the roofing inspected periodically. If there are any issues found during the inspection, repair them immediately. For instance, if you test the PVC membrane on a commercial roof and find it to be in the need of a fresh coat get it fixed instantaneously. If this problem with the roof was ignored sooner rather than later you will be forced to have the whole PVC membrane replaced. This will cost a lot more than just the coating you could have done in time.
2. Incorrect roof installation: All commercial roofing projects need to start with a proper and professional installation. The poorly installed roofs raise the chances of issues appearing. What’s more, the improperly installed roofing decreases its lifespan. For instance, a properly installed PVC roof can last for as long as 20 years. But if you have improperly installed roofing this lifespan is reduced a great deal.
3. Leaves and Standing water: Standing water collected on the flat commercial roofs is pretty normal. Leaves are also likely to get collected on the roof. After a while, with the build-up of leaves, they start clogging the drains. Birds create nests on the roof and it also can lead to drains blocking. The standing water gets collected due to poor roofing design and installation. Many times the pitch angle provided on the roof is not sufficient for the water collected due to rain or air conditioning units to flow through to drains. In such instances, the standing water may deteriorate the roofing and can lead to leakage.
4. Blow-offs: The uplifting due to the wind can lead to roofing blow-offs. It usually happens when the wind hits the side of your property and moves to the top. The spaces developed between the moving wind and roofing develops suction. This suction is capable of pulling the weak roof material off. So, it is significant that you apply roofing material properly and allow it to cure totally.
5. Damaged Flashing: Flashings and pitch pans deflect the water away from joints and seams. They are installed on curbs, walls, and around the objects protruding from the roof such as chimneys and piping. Most roofing leakages are due to incorrectly installed flashing. Another common reason for damaged flashing is due to the expansion and contraction of the material used for flashing. The metal material used for the flashing expands and contracts significantly and when this happens holes develop in it. The metal also is likely to tear developing a source for water leakage. Incorrectly terminated flashing may also permit the water to enter your building through the roof.
It is a good idea to get your commercial roofing inspected regularly. For instance, once every year should be alright. There are some high-quality professional roofing contractors available out there. If you live in the Clearwater, FL area you can reach out for the services of Done Rite Roofing Inc. They will provide a free estimate if any roofing maintenance is required.