One thing most homeowners will tell you they literally dread is a roof leak. Nevertheless, water is an insidious foe that’s looking to penetrate your roof. Once inside your home it’ll spread to the point you won’t know where the initial leak started. They’ll ruin your insulation, cause black mold to grow, rot any of your wood, and damage both your ceilings and your walls. This is why it’s so important to know what causes leaks and how to fix them immediately.
The Root Cause of a Root Leak
There are 10 main reasons why your roof may leak. Each of these can be fixed if you know what you’re doing. They include:
- Your home’s age: Shingles grow old and tired because they expand and contract so much with temperature changes. Eventually they grow brittle and crack. Eventually, they must be changed.
- A brick chimney seems indestructible, but its mortar is made of water, sand, and cement. When exposed to the weather it eventually starts eroding and crumbling. Sometimes patches can be used as a fast, inexpensive fix.
- Chimney flashing is a thin, metal strip that when properly sealed and nailed into place helps protect against water intrusion. This roof repair costs a few hundred dollars.
- Missing shingles are easily replaced although finding the exact color match is near impossible. Depending on your roof’s pitch you may not notice this right away, but it’s typically an easy DIY job.
- A vent boot is made of plastic and fits around your vent pipes working in conjunction with your flashing. Eventually it too grows old and tired and will need pried off so a new one can be installed.
- Holes from storms and animals may exist for years unnoticed. Once discovered, simply place a small bit of flashing under the shingle and hold it in place with caulk.
- Complex roof architecture may be a showstopper but if it isn’t properly sealed it can be problematic. The cost to fix it will depend on the complexity of the architecture itself.
- Clogged gutters won’t carry debris away from your home. Having them cleaned will only cost $100 – $300 depending on the size of the job.
- Skylights are beautiful when fitted and installed properly. Over time their rubber seal and glass can dry out too. When you find cracks in your skylights or its flashing, they’ll need to have a professional fix them. Sometimes the skylight itself may also need to be replaced.
- Shiners happen when roofing nails miss the rafter and protrude into your attic. Although this typically leads to small drips, left unchecked can lead to major issues. Not only will you need roof repair here, buy you’ll probably also need to add more insulation to your attic.
Making a roof repair isn’t a DIY project you should undertake yourself. Instead, you should turn to the professionals at Done Rite Roofing to make sure it’s done right the first time. Contact them today so they can handle your minor roof leak before it becomes a major problem.