When you live in Florida, it’s to your benefit as a homeowner to own a fixed, installed generator. These are connected to your home’s wiring via a transfer switch that protects your home from having utility lines feedback into it – something that could ultimately cause a lot of damage once the power is restored.
Choosing the Right Generator
The most common type of generator in use today is the portable gas-powered generator. Once you’ve purchased it, make sure you set it up outside of your home and away from any windows because it can cause high levels of carbon monoxide, which is dangerous to your health.
Regardless of what type of generator you choose to use, you should always spend time thoroughly reading through the manufacturer’s instructions so you can carefully follow them to safely operate your generator. Some of the most common tips you’ll find here include:
- Use a heavy-duty extension cord that’s meant to be used outdoors.
- Connect your appliances directly to the generator. Don’t wire your generator to your breaker or fuse box.
- Make sure all your appliances are turned off before turning the generator on. Once the generator is on you should turn on your appliances one at a time. Be careful not to exceed your generator’s rated wattage.
- Never touch the generator if you’re wet or standing on damp ground.
- Turn the generator off before refueling it so that the hot engine parts and exhaust don’t catch on fire.
Why Hiring a Licensed, Professional is Important
Now that you have a better understanding of these generators, it’s important to understand that you must hire a licensed professional to do this work for you. This isn’t the only time when you’ll need to have this professional do work on your home though. Your local building department will have a full list of such circumstances (typically ones requiring additional permits and licenses). However, some of the most common times when you’ll need such licenses and permits include repairing or replacing your roof and conducting electrical repairs or rewiring parts of your home.
Since these types of jobs require a lot of specialized knowledge and chasing down licenses and permits is never any fun, you should leave all this work in the hands of the professionals. If you live in Clearwater, Florida these professionals are found working at Done Rite Roofing. Over the years this company has come to be known as the top professional for roofing and generators so if you’re in need of any of these services, make sure you get in touch with them today.